School of Informatics and Graduate School of Informatics
Information for Prospective Research Student or Graduate School Research Student (For Privately Financed International Student)
School of Informatics and Graduate School of Informatics are pleased to accept privately financed research students in special circumstances for study at our Undergraduate School and Graduate School after being accepted as research students or graduate research students.
1) Applicants must graduate from university
2) Applicants who have been recognized by the faculty of this Undergraduate School
Graduate Research Student:
1) Applicants must possess a Master’s Degree
2) Applicants who have been recognized as having the same scholarly ability as the above by the faculty of this Graduate School
Note: All applicants of both Research Students and Graduate Research Students, must have
sufficient Japanese or English language proficiency to participate and be successful in the learning process.
- Find an instructor to be your Prospective Academic Supervisor.
All applicants who wish to apply for research students or graduate research students must email the instructor that they wish to study with and receive an approval to apply to the School of Informatics or the Graduate School of Informatics. Please refer to the following link to find an instructor in our department.
- Complete the Online Application
Please apply online (STEP 1) by accessing the link below during the period from Tuesday, September 1, 2020, 10am to Friday, September 25, 2020, 12pm (JST)
https://aas.iee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/apply/ (For April 2021 Enrollment Overseas Applicants)
Some Professors have their own application requirements. Please make sure to check the laboratory’s homepage of your Prospective Academic Supervisor in advance.
- Prepare the Necessary Documents
Please prepare the following documents and submit them within the online application period.
Ⅰ. Research Proposal and Questionnaire (Download)
Ⅱ. Official Academic Transcript(s) from most recent attended University
Ⅲ. Certificate of Graduation and Degree (or Certificate of Expected Graduation (Example Form))
Ⅳ. Language Proficiency Supporting Documents (Japanese or English)
– For part 1 of the Research Proposal and Questionnaire, write using approximately 800 words in English or 2,000 characters in Japanese including a research title and references.
– Ⅳ. Official Academic Transcript(s) from most recent attended University:
A Japanese or English translation must be provided if the Official Transcript is not written in Japanese or English.
– Ⅵ. Language Proficiency Supporting Documents (Japanese or English):
Japanese refers to Japanese Language Proficiency Test N1 or N2 and English refers to tests such as TOEIC, TOEFL iBT, and IELTS.
– Upload the above documents in PDF format to the Online Application Assistance System.
– Application will not be accepted if your documents are incomplete or inadequate.
- An interview will be conducted for applicants who have obtained a preliminary approval from the Prospective Academic Supervisor. The interview will consist of questions regarding their previous research experience and proposed research topic. Other questions will involve their previous experience with Japan, language proficiency and their economic situation.
Note: Only the applicants who passed the interview can move on to STEP 2.
- Receive the Admission Guidelines for STEP 2 and proceed with the admission procedures.
Please read through the Admission Guidelines, prepare the necessary documents,
proceed with the admission procedures and apply within the application period.
Application for research student and master’s program / graduate research student and doctoral program can be applied at the same time. However, if you pass the entrance exam of the master’s program or doctoral program, you will need to decline the admission offer as a research student / graduate research student. Moreover, for master’s program, the submission of score notification of English proficiency test is required. For further information, please refer to the following link.
- Entrance Fee \84,600
- Tuition (one semester) \178,200 (one year) \356,400
April 2021 Enrollment
Overseas Applicants: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 ~ Friday, November 13, 2020
Japanese Residents: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 ~ Wednesday, February 24, 2021
October 2020 Enrollment
Overseas Applicants: Thursday, May 7, 2020 ~ Friday, May 15, 2020
Japanese Residents: Monday, August 17, 2020 ~ Friday, August 21, 2020
Tuition and other Fees
Contact Regarding Research Student Admissions
Graduate School of Informatics
International Student Advisor
Fung Chuiyuen Icy
(Please replace (at) with @)
(Office Hours: 10:00~12:00, 13:00~16:00, excluding weekends and holidays)
Students Affairs Section
Nagoya University Graduate School of Informatics and School of Informatics Office Email: admission(at)i.nagoya-u.ac.jp
(Please replace (at) with @)
(Office Hours: 9:00~11:30, 13:30~16:00, excluding weekends and holidays)